Popular Posts

Monday, October 10, 2016

Five Must Buys 10/12/16

Hola amigos.  There are so many new books coming out this week.  Quality books. It was incredibly hard for me to get it down to five.  I had to leave off a couple of my favorite books in Old Man Logan and Moon Knight as well as all of DC's Rebirth. However, this is a incredibly strong week for independents that can not be ignored. So let's get to it.

Book of the Week
W: Ed Brubaker A: Sean Phillips
Kill Or Be Killed #3 - As our hero is drawn deeper into the shadows, his secret vigilante life begins to put everything he cares about in danger. Brubaker and Phillips biggest hit yet continues, and every issue includes fantastic back page extras and articles!

This book is so good.  Dark and twisted and incredibly entertaining. Half the time I am rooting for the main character to man up and take control, the other half, I want them to kill him off. The characters feel real and flawed and stupid just like in real life. This will be the first book I read when I pick up my books. This is a series that everyone should be reading.

W: Brian Wood A: Mack Chater
Brigg's Land #3 - On a quiet highway in the predawn light, Grace encounters a true test of her empathy and her strength when she comes face to face with the worst aspects of the community she's struggling to take back.

Briggs Land is another book that is incredible and would have been book of the week any other week. The anti-government community aspect is always fascinating to me.  I am slightly concerned about big brother and everyone basically carrying tracking devices with them, in cell phones and having the most private conversations out there in digital space.  I do realize that I have nothing to hide, but I still like my privacy. Besides you can get around it if it bothers you that much with burner phones and email addresses. Sorry got a little sidetracked.  So, the aspect of a women and stepping up to run this organization is a great concept, especially with what seems like a very machismo feel to the community before she took power. 

W: Nick Spencer A: Steve Lieber - Ryan Hill
The Fix #6 - Roy investigates a high-profile murder.

The Fix is hilarious.  This is the funniest comic book that I have ever read.  This would be like training day made into a comedy and still being incredible.  The banter is smart and witty. The art is perfectly paired with the story.  This is a book that you have to catch up on. 

W: Jim Zub A:Djibril Morissette-Phan - K. Michael Russel
Glitterbomb #2 - Death, denial, and the darkness within. What's got into Farrah?

This was a book that I almost didn't pick up.  It looked like a book that was not for me.  However, I am glad that I gave it a chance.  This book was awesome. I can't wait to see where they take this book, but it seems like a lot of evil people in high places are going to get what is coming to them. It does portray those people in high places as seeing people as livestock that are there to make them money and once they have served their purpose, they are thrown away like sour milk.

W: Kieron Gillen A: Salvador Larroca
Darth Vadar #25 - FINAL ISSUE! It has all built up to this! Vader's trials against Cylo's creations! His machinations against the Emperor! His covert missions with Doctor Aphra and her murderous droids! All comes to fruition in an oversized 40-page issue by the stellar team of Kieron Gillen and Salvador Larroca! You won't want to miss this ending!

I can't believe that this book is ending.  It almost brings a tear to my eye.  This has been the best Star Wars book that has been coming out and was part of one of the best crossovers that I have read. I know there have been interviews that basically say that Guillen had a story to tell and it is over, but it was so good and there is still so much to play with, that you have to keep it going.  From what I hear the top secret Star Wars book coming out is going to be a Dr. Aphra book, which does make me happy, but Darth Vadar is the star. Vadar was so menacing and integral that without him will the story work? I hope so because I did love the two death bots and Dr. Aphra.

Think I missed something or am crazy for recommending a book, holler at your boy and let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment