Popular Posts

Monday, October 3, 2016

5 Must Buys 10/05/16

What up nerdmigos. It is the first week of October and a lot of new books are coming out.  This is the biggest week since the launch of DC's Rebirth.  I can't wait for some of these books and some look like a lot of and no substance.  This is going to be an expensive week for Comic Bookers. Hopefully, this will help you separate the wheat from the chaff. For DC, if you are a avid reader of this column, I am a huge fan of DC's Rebirth.  They have been killing it and it has shown in the sales numbers.  It has been really hard for me to nail this down to 2 books, so this week I cheated. I will touch on Marvel Tomorrow and the launch of Marvel NOW.

Book of the Week
W:Zachary Kaplan A: Giovanni Timpano
Eclipse #2 - In a world where sunlight kills, solar engineer David 'Bax' Baxter and police detective James Everly hunt for a mysterious butcher who doesn't burn, but their investigation into the post-apocalyptic wasteland raises more questions than answers.

This book hooked me with the preview alone and the first issue did not disappoint. This will be the first book that I read this week. Post-apocalyptic story mixed with a murder mystery, that is well written and coupled perfectly with its art style. If you haven't read the first book, you are missing out.  Strangely enough this kind of reminds me a Vampire story without the vampires.  

W: Tom Taylor W:Nicole Virella
All New Wolverine #13 - ENEMY OF THE STATE II STARTS NOW! WOLVERINE: MURDERER!!! Laura has fought so hard to be something other than what she was created to be, but the fight is over. Wolverine has blood on her hands. In the wake of an unspeakable tragedy, dark forces have Laura's life under their control. Will Laura be able to defeat demons on the outside and from within? Or will she be forced to give up the hero's life she's built for herself?

This has been 1 of the 2, X-Men related books that I keep buying and reading. They have made such a mess of the X-Men, that when this book came out, I thought it was another mistake. However, I was sorely mistaken.  Taylor has done a great job with this book and has provided something that I didn't even know I wanted.

W:Robert Kirkman A:Charlie Adlard
Walking Dead #159 - 'THE WHISPERER WAR,' Part Three, The war rages on.

What can I say about The Walking Dead that has not been said before. This is a great book that lets your imagination run wild. What would you do in this scenario? Would you live? Where would you go? Who would go with you? Who would you protect? Would you join a bigger group, even if they were evil to survive? This is one of the books that I get why people read in trades, but I am way to impatient. I can't wait to see what happens.

W: Dan Abnett A: Scot Eaton
Aquaman #8 - 'UNSTOPPABLE' part one! Arthur's investigation into the mysterious Atlantean terrorist attacks on the surface is cut short when Black Manta taps his newfound weapons cache and unleashes an unstoppable weapon upon the undersea kingdom: a relentless behemoth from the deep that lays waste to anything in its path.

This has been my favorite take on Aquaman to date and that includes Geoff John's run.  So far he has broken out of prison, destroyed a bunch of tanks and went punch for punch with superman.  Add in the fact that they are setting Black Manta up as the big bad, I'm in.  If you were like me and thought that Aquaman sucks, give this book a chance.  They even make poke fun of his status in the Justice League.


W: Tom King/Steve Orlando A: Riley Rossmo
W: Tim Seeley/Steve Orlando A: Roge Antonia

Batman #8/Nightwing #6 - 'NIGHT OF THE MONSTER MEN' part four! The giant monsters might be bad, but Gotham's heroes encounter a whole new threat level when two of their own start terrorizing the city! Batman must face the horrifying possibility of losing two of his closest allies to Hugo Strange's vicious attack./ 'NIGHT OF THE MONSTER MEN' part five! The hunt for Hugo Strange rages onward as the Manipulator rises and uses the citizens of Gotham City to shield itself from the Bat-Family. All while the monstrous version of Nightwing looms over Gotham City.
 
This is Rebirth's first Crossover and thank goodness it is relatively short or it would put me in the poor house. Thankfully DC has kept its $2.99 pricing.  It has been good this far and I really like the fact that they reference Zero Year in this book. They have most of the Bat family involved in this story, which makes it a stronger book. Steve Orlando has been working with each writer, so this crossover seems to flow better than most. I am sure most people are picking this up, but if you are not, you are missing out.
 
Let me know if I am wrong or crazy, or tell me if you think you would survive the Zombie Apocalypse and how you would be a better Rick than Rick.

No comments:

Post a Comment