Popular Posts

Monday, August 22, 2016

Introduction

Hola fellow nerds. I cannot introduce myself properly, so just call me your friendly neighborhood Batman.  I LOVE comics.  I never collected when I was a kid, but always wanted to.  They were a little too pricey for my family and no one in my family had the knowledge.  Every time I walked into a shop as a kid, everything was bagged and boarded and the clerks always gave me a dirty look. Thanks to the Young Justice renewing my interest, the interweb and DC's re launch of the New 52, I was able to jump into comics. However, it was not an easy hobby to pick up, especially with no one to talk to about it.

Growing up I loved both Marvel and DC.  X-Men and Spiderman the Animated Series on Fox as well as Batman and Superman the Animated series and Batman Beyond on the WB. So when I wanted to start reading comics, I was hoping to find something like that.  When I first walked in to a local comic book store around here and started asking questions, the guy looked at me like I was an idiot and was very condescending when answering my questions.  Thinking back on this guy, had he been nice to me and took some time to show me the ropes, he would have had a customer that spends a couple hundred a month in his store.

I moved along to another store and kept to myself. I thought I can figure this out myself.  However, this was the wrong strategy. When I picked up Spiderman and X-Men, I was completely lost. These were not the X-Men that I was used to and there were 3 or 4 ongoing titles, which I didn't know the difference between. Spiderman was a little easier to get into, but again there were 3 or 4 Spiderman ongoing titles. I did not know who Miles Morales, Miguel O'Hara and Kaine were. Luckily, Scarlet Spider had just started a new ongoing that I picked up and I loved it.

Over at DC pretty much everything was starting over at number 1.  So it was a lot easier for me to grab stuff that I wouldn't be lost with.  With DC's relaunch, I took a very different approach.  I grabbed any number one that grabbed my attention.  I started doing that with Marvel as well.  Within my first year I was regularly picking up Batman, Green Lantern, Matt Fraction's Hawkeye, Scarlet Spider, Swamp Thing and Justice League.  I also kept trying other things that turned out not to be for me, including AvX, Grifter, Red Lanterns, Iron Man, Before Watchman, Action Comics and anything that looked like a good potential X-Men book. 

At about year two, I felt like I had a good grasp on the big two, minus X-Men, and started looking at the independents.  My first independent was Fuse.  I like the concept and greatly enjoy the book. This opened the door for some of my favorite comics that I still collect or collected until conclusion including The Wake, Nailbiter, Bunker, Birthright, Descender, Thief of Thieves, Ghosted, Outcast and The Walking Dead.

During this time I turned my sister and my cousin into collectors. My cousin turned out to be a huge Flash fan and my sister loved the independents. Now I have an online pull list as well as a good local store. It took a long time to find both. Since I am lucky enough to live in San Diego, I have able to attend Comic Con and Wonder Con for the past 3 years.  However, very few people know that I attend these functions let alone that I am a closet, full blown Comic Book NERD or as my friend called it "Some Geek A** $**T." Therefore, I am starting my own blog to talk about comics.

My goal is going to be to post twice a day Monday through Friday, but am going to start with a post a day. I would like to think that I am not a Marvel, DC or Independent Fan Boy. I like all three and try to stay positive about comics.  People getting upset about Captain America and the whole Hail Hyrda issue and the writer getting death threats is crazy. Everyone please calm down. If you don't like it don't buy or read it.  If enough people agree, they will change it back or eventually retcon it. I know that this is talking out of both sides of my mouth, but I get it.  It is something that you love and they are ruining it.  Comic Book readers are for the most part die hard fans and it seems we all have a strong opinions about characters that we love and hate.  Hopefully this will be a place where we can all discuss them and have endless arguments on why your favorite character is better than anyone else's.

If you guys ever want me to write about or research something specific, feel free to shoot me an email.  Thanks for your time. Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment